History of the College
Ranger College is one of the oldest public two-year colleges in continuous operation in the state of Texas. Its history predates the legislation authorizing and establishing junior colleges in the state. In August 1925, the Board of Education of the Ranger Public Schools voted to proceed with plans for the establishment of a junior college. On September 13, 1926, Ranger College opened with thirty students enrolled. The College operated under supervision of a College Council composed of three members of the Board of Education and nine other Ranger citizens.
The College was recognized by the State Department of Education on March 23, 1927. The first State statute authorizing junior colleges was passed by the 41st Legislature in 1929. The College operated under this statute until the passage of the “Validation of Junior College District Acts’’ by the 45th Legislature in 1937. The College continued to operate as part of the public school system until August 18, 1950. On this date, the Board of Education voted to separate the Junior College and the public schools. As a result of this action, Ranger Junior College, after 24 years of joint operation with the public school system, became a unit within itself. In this separate unit, Dr. G. C. Boswell became the first official President of the College. The College has operated continuously as an autonomous educational institution overseen by a Board of Regents since that date.
By 1973, Ranger College had expanded its basic university-parallel curriculum to encompass a variety of terminal workforce education programs. These programs include training in cosmetology, licensed vocational nursing, registered nursing, and welding. As in the past, the College continues to offer accredited, high-quality instruction and makes every effort to identify and meet additional needs of present and prospective students.