The Federal TRIO Programs (TRIO) are Federal outreach and student services programs designed to identify and provide services for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds. TRIO includes eight programs targeted to serve and assist low-income individuals, first-generation college students, and individuals with disabilities to progress through the academic pipeline from middle school to post-baccalaureate programs. For more information on these programs, please visit the TRIO homepage on the Department of Education website. Ranger College is proud to offer these programs to our college students and area high school students.
Ranger College Upward Bound provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their precollege performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families, and/or families in which neither parent holds a bachelor’s degree. Our goal is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
This project provide academic instruction in mathematics, laboratory sciences, composition, literature, and foreign languages. Other services include:
• Information on Federal Student Financial Aid programs and benefits
• Assistance filling out applications for colleges, scholarships, Pell Grants, and student loans
• Academic, personal, college, and career counseling
• College, cultural, and business tours
• ACT, SAT, TSI, and college application fee waivers
• ACT, SAT, and TSI preparation
• Career exploration
• Tutoring (provided through your school, or, if necessary, at Ranger College)
• College selection/planning/admissions
• 6-week summer camp (held on Ranger College Campus)
• Enrichment Saturdays (1 Saturday per month)
• Transportation to UB activities and events
• Transportation from Ranger College to college, cultural, and business tours
Ranger College Upward will provide service and support to 60 high school students from 4 area high schools: Ranger, Eastland, Early, and May.
For more information or to get application assistance, please contact the Upward Bound Office at (254) 647-5184.