Texas Success Initiative Assessment
The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) was instituted by the Texas Legislature and is a program of diagnostic testing and developmental instruction designed to improve student success rates in Texas colleges. Entering college students are required to meet established minimum standards on assessment tests in math, reading, and writing. Those students who do not meet these standards are required to enroll in appropriate developmental courses designed to improve their academic skills and prepare them for college-level courses.
Incoming Texas college students are required to take the TSI Assessment (unless they are exempt; see below) **Students who do not place college ready in one or all parts (English, mathematics, reading, and writing) of a TSI exam must enroll in an appropriate developmental education course before the student may enroll in a credit-bearing course for the subject in which he/she did not meet state standards.
More information about the TSI Assessment can be found here.
ExemptionsNote: SAT and ACT scores used to support an exemption must be less than five years old; TAKS/STAAR scores must be less than five years old.
- A student with an SAT score of at least 1070 and a math score of at least 500 is exempt from the math requirement.
- A student with an SAT score of at least 1070 and a verbal score of at least 500 is exempt from the reading and writing requirements.
- A student with an ACT composite score of at least 23 and a math score of at least 19 is exempt from the math requirement.
- A student with an ACT composite score of at least 23 and an English score of at least 19 is exempt from the reading and writing requirements.
- A student with a TAKS math score of at least 2200 is exempt from the math requirement.
- A student with a TAKS English/language arts score of at least 2200 and an essay score of at least 3 is exempt from the reading and writing requirements.
- The student has attended any Texas public institution of higher education and has been determined to have met readiness standards by that institution.
- PSAT combined minimum score of 107 with a minimum of score of 50 on the critical reading and/or mathematic s section linked to the subject area the students wishes to enroll in. (Dual Credit Students only)
- Students serving on active duty as a member of the US armed forces, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the US armed forces and have been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment.
- Students who on or after August 1, 1990, were honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces, the Texas National Guard, or serve as a member of a reserve component of the US armed forces.
- An earned degree, associates or higher, from a Texas public college or university.
- A student who transfers to an institution from a private or independent institution of higher education or an accredited out-of-state institution of higher education and who has satisfactorily completed college-level coursework as determined by the receiving institution.
A student who has already completed the TSI Assessment and placed college ready should not test again in that area. The following TSI scores represent college ready cut scores:
- Reading score of 351 or above
- Mathematics score of 350 or above
- Writing essay score of a 5; or an essay score of a 4 with objective score of a 363
All Exemptions should be confirmed with the Registrar's Office. Please call 254-647-3234 ext. 7019 for questions concerning exemptions.
Students must complete the Pre-Assessment Activity prior to taking the TSI Assessment.
Students will be instructed to provide an email address to send their certificate of completion to. Students should print this certificate and bring this on testing day.
Students will not be allowed to test without proof of completion.
Studying for the TSI
Students are strongly encouraged to study prior to taking the TSI for accurate placement. Sample questions can be accessed here.
Scheduling for the TSI Assessment
When students are ready to take the TSI Assessment they should email the appropriate campus contact to confirm a date a time to test.
Ranger (main) campus in Ranger, Texas:
Location: 1100 College Circle, Ranger TX 76470
Business Building, Room #5
Scheduling Contact: Dr. Elizabeth Price at email@example.com
Erath County campus in Stephenville, Texas:
Location: 1835 West Lingleville Road, Stephenville TX 76401
Scheduling Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brown County campus in Early, Texas:
Location: 300 Early Blvd. Suite #105, Early, Texas 76802
Located behind the Heartland mall.
Please call 325-641-5726 to schedule your TSI Assessment.
Testing is held on Thursdays at 9am
On Testing Day
Students will need to bring the following items on testing day to their campus:
- Certificate of Completion for the Pre-Assessment Activity
- Photo ID
Students will not be allowed to have their cell phone or any other personal belongings during the test. Calculators are NOT ALLOWED.
Click here to learn more about how to interpret your score.